Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for...Chaos


Recently I have been feeling rather lost; lost in a world where I see deadlines looming around me like  stars circling around one's head, scary faces creeping up closer and closer, undone work standing behind time saying "complete me",daily additions of new tasks stacked up on the pile of "to do" and somewhere in between my mother whispering in my ear "You should take a break". Total chaos! Who do I listen to? There seems to be no start nor end. Where is the order I crave?

Yes. That is how a day in the life of my mind goes.

One thing that I have started to understand though, is that we often think that chaos leads us nowhere but if we look deeper we are sure to find that piece of rope that is able to untangle the clump of wool. Having the opportunity to do a module in classic civilization this semester, I came across this abstract:
Before anything else existed, there was just something that had no particular shape and could not be described as it was empty; this was called Chaos. Then the mother-goddess Earth, whom the Greeks called Ge or Gaia, arose from Chaos and gave birth to Uranus, who became the sky-god and her husband. His rain fertilized the Earth and made things grow; therefore the world came into existence. Since the world was an orderly place compared with the primordial Chaos, the Greeks referred to it as kosmos, which means "order", "world", and "universe".
The moral of this myth is that order comes from chaos. What seems like a space of randomness is actually just an area that is waiting for someone to start picking out things and make sense of it. Chaos isn't necessarily a bad thing, after all...

I do prefer the beauty of chaos over ugly perfection.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, order comes from chaos. Better still, if you want something to be done, give it to a busy person. That's you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree fully! :) although I do have more than enough on my plate right now.

    ReplyDelete